Open SYS File
SYS file extension is widely used on MS-DOS and Windows platforms by SYStem files. Usually these files contain executable code for hardware device drivers (for example 1394bus.sys). Windows Operating System opens SYS files and runs them in the kernel-mode which is the highest possible privilege on Microsoft Windows systems. This means that errors in SYS files can cause great harm and data loss. If these files are infected by viruses, trojans or rootkits infection may be very hard to remove. We strongly recommend to install drivers only from trusted sources like official hardware manufacturer websites or digital media that came with the device.
Two other notable SYS files are config.sys and msdos.sys. These files are different from the ones that are described above because they contain configuration parameters in text form rather than executable code. These files were widely used in MS-DOS days along with autoexec.bat file to control the way system boots up. However these files are obsolete on modern Windows systems and are available for backward compatibility purposes only.
Open SYS File on Windows OS
- Find a SYS file in question in Windows File Explorer and double click on it.
- If a file is not opened in an application and you instead get a "Windows can't open a file" error message you should try looking for an application which can open the SYS file in question.
- If you know the application which can open SYS file then run it and see if there is a File->Open option in the application main menu.
- If you don't know the application which can open SYS file then try to search for "SYS wiki", "application to open SYS file" or "SYS file" queries in the search engine you like.
- Install the application you found and check if it can open SYS file
Rate this page: 4/5 based on 15 ratings
Populating this website with information and maintaining it is an ongoing process. We always welcome feedback and questions that can be submitted by visiting Contact Us page. However since there are many users visiting this website and because our team is quite small we may not be able to follow up personally on every request. Thank you for your understanding.
For more general information about how to open SYS files, file extension sys and registry you can read one of the following articles:
- Windows registry - Windows registry is included in modern Windows operating systems to replace the older INI files which also contained system configuration. Let's concentrate on the structure and purpose of Windows System Registry, review some possible attacks to it and ways to avoid them...
- Folders, files and paths - Files are the entries or information stored on your computer. These are represented by binary coding and written on the tracks on a disk. Files are often represented by distinct icons, a normal practice done by Microsoft with their products including system files for their series of operating systems...
- What are file extensions? - File extensions are unnoticed yet are very crucial parts of the computer world. But many are still unaware of the basic foundation and principles behind the remarkable wonders of computers...